As I observed over the last few years, the fun part of Diwali (the part where we light fire-crackers), is turning out to be more of a selfish showy act than a real enjoyment. I live in an apartment building, where there are another 14 houses with many people in them. We are all supposed to share a single terrace where everyone wants to have fun. Ofcourse no place is complete without people who boss around, and an equal share of people who are getting jealous over the neighbour's latest buy. So obviously, when such characters get together, there's going to be havoc. Each parent wants his/her child to burn the crackers and make the rest of the people watch... If one guy spent 5000 bucks, the other guy wants to spend 7000. All this ends up in a big pile of fireworks, and 3 nights are not enough to burn them out. Such stories go on, there will be lots of talking, and secret jealousy, and what not... I feel stupid watching all this, and I just settle at a corner, have my share of fun and get away.
Whereas, Holi is a completely selfless act. We buy lots of colours, and boxes (oh! I am scared of the pink colour that comes out of the dark green powder in them), and use them all on others. We have devious methods of painting the other guy pink. All enmity is lost and there more you colour people, the more you feel satisfied. But this is an entirely messy festival and an hour of play is enough to keep you washing the colour for about 3 hours. It's obvious we ignore this while playing with the colours. Unfortunately my ear trouble this time forced me not to play and allow any water into the ears. For the first time, I got jealous, watching my friends drenched in water and colours, and mesitting dryly at home with nothing else to do...
I am sure there's a next time, but I gotta wait 365 days for that!
No comments:
Post a Comment