Thursday, October 15, 2009

Jinxed Again!

Now this is getting pretty frustrating here. I'm no fan of 'cricket', but I did take a strong liking to the Twenty20 Format of the game and I've always been supporting the Deccan Chargers of Hyderabad for obvious reasons.

What's more? The stadium is at a walkable distance from my house! Though I haven't had any great interest to go there and watch, I've keenly followed the DC matches on television. Its hardly difficult to notice the pattern emerging with the DC team after watching 3 tournaments played.

The IPL-I turned out to be a choker for DC. The best team on paper, the worst team on the field. And they confirmed it by finishing last. They lost matches on their home ground, in front of their home crowd. Wow, so much for being a DC fan!

IPL-II lands in South Africa due to security reasons and DC makes Magic look as simple as parlour tricks! The rest of the teams were left groping in the darkness blindly after encountering the Gilly Storm. DC won it though there was an equal competition from RCB (2nd from bottom last year. How ironical!!)

Champions League T20! Come on!! IPL sounds so strangely familiar to EPL, that I was taken aback, quite literally. I didn't know sports copy sports even if it has to do with just naming. And now comes Champions League, just like the world famous UEFA Champions League. And the organisers admit having used a similar concept. Similar? Call it a mirror image! Big teams from India, big teams from around the world, all under one roof. "Hell of a competition", I thought. DC starts off with a loss. The venue? Hyderabad. Could they break the jinx at least in the next game? The final chance to stay alive? Conveniently, NO is the answer. The jinx stays alive, kicking DC out of the competition. The only Indian side to be knocked out. So much for being last seasons Champions huh? Great!

Yet, I would obviously continue to support DC. Winners or losers, home is home. DC is home. I used to wonder, how teams in the lower divisions of the EPL could manage huge crowds of fans when teams like ManU, Chelsea, Real, etc were grabbing fans from all over the world. Now I understand. It's not about supporting the best team. It's Home that matters. No matter how bad or how good, you'd stick to and protect your Home. And your Home will stick to and protect you. Pun or no pun, that's the truth.

No comments:

Post a Comment