Wednesday, October 07, 2009

Head First into Water

Right from as far as my memory could go, my bony structure always faced crazy criticisms and advices to improve. I tried my hand at the gym but didn't like the atmosphere there and decided to quit inspite of many attempts to not giving up. Funnily, despite leaving my body without exercise and spending all day 'on the couch' watching TV or on the computer desk, I never managed to build up any kind of fat. Infact I hardly changed in about 4 years which is weird for a 21 year old. Though that's an okay in some ways, the lack of exercise simply made me so lethargic that I realised I was crossing my own tolerable limits of laziness.

Suddenly Chakradhar's brain performed its odd-time genius thinking and he suggested swimming. I felt like that was the thing missing in my life right now, like I was forgetting something and he mentioned it now. We flew into action and within a few days, we managed to get ourselves into a morning batch of learners.

Today was my first day and it was good fun. The coach just asked us to paddle holding the rods attached the the walls. After about 30 min of paddle-break-paddle-break pattern, we moved out. It was fun, and I think the biggest secret to learning to swim is to get rid of the fear and relaxing the body-tension. Infact Chakradhar (who once had an incident when he nearly drowned twice on the same day) suddenly attempted to swim a few meters and actually did it. It was a tad messy, but he did it on the first day itself. That was commendable stuff I thought.

One issue though is, we took this up at a time when the weather is starting to get cold. And the timing is early in the morning at 6. Hope we don't fall sick just because of our determination to move our bodies out of the bed. We did have some shivering in the first few minutes, unable to accept the cold. In a way, I thought it was a good thing we were going early in the morning. Once the sun rises, the water on the body evapourates more quickly, leading to more shivering and the temp difference inside and outside could be higher.

Anyway, that should be the end for now. If i do make any noticeable progress, I'll post again.

No comments:

Post a Comment