Friday, May 16, 2008

Deccan Discharged

After I put aside cricket during my school-time, I never went back to it. I decided to chuck my interest in cricket. Suddenly soccer seemed a million times more interesting than the so-called 'religion-of-India'. Is it that we love whatever we are good at and hate whatever we are bad at? It almost seems to me like that.

Yet, the recently created new format of Cricket has taken me by storm. Even the exams couldn't stop me from watching the games! And why is that? It's simply because of the activity and speed of the game. Unlike those boring Test matches where the real test is on patience and the run-rate never goes above 3, and ODIs where you gotta watch 100 overs to find out the result, the T20 is rather exciting. On my personal note, I would say this format is successful but only on the entertainment point of view. When it goes down to the test of skill, I doubt about how successful this is. Still one can debate that if T20 was considered the only format ever, of playing the game, then any other formats like 50 over matches and 5 day matches would have been highly disappointing and boring. We still gotta wait and see how the players react to longer formats once they finish this IPL season. Would they try to hit the same way as they were in T20? If they would, either they would score 450-500 runs every match or never survive to play the 50 overs at all ... And this season has been quite an unpredictable one as far as now. Every team has seen extreme highs and lows, but the Deccan and Bangalore teams have firmly maintained their positions at the bottom of the table. It's rather disappointing to see that because a look at the squads would send chills down the opponents spines, and yet they have never fired as a whole. It's either a one-man show or a 180 degree topple ... Personally watching the entire process going hay-wire, I am always left to wonder what is possibly going wrong. But since my interest in cricket was never there, it's just a stop-watch-and-go thing for me. The vast amounts of money put in and the showy stuff all have hyped this tournament beyond limits, which I don't mind because it's living upto expectation and proving certain critics wrong as well (the age-factor, the batsmen-game, etc..)

Watching Deccan Chargers being discharged in every match is bringing out more pity than hate because every match I watch, I see Adam Gilchrist extremely active and lively on the field. There is a force running through him and yet that force isn't transferring to the other players and into the team. A single source of inspiration is not enough for a team game though that could be proven wrong by Patrick Viera when he used to play for Arsenal. As soon as he stepped into the ground, the whole team played like magic. Gilly, as he calls himself, clearly is doing whatever he possibly can, but I expect the other players to do what they can do best. Half the time Gilly is advising them to do something and they end up trying something they can't do.

The Discharging story is a rather long one which everyone would have noticed by now. And it's no secret that things aren't going good for the DC team. Though what they can pull out of the next few games is a question...

1 comment:

  1. well buddy i know man...i thought they were going to rock the show but ...they really got rocked..

    ReplyDelete