Well, Apple sent a firmware update for the Ipods Nano and Classic, version 1.0.2. I read a few reviews about the update and started feeling edgy about downloading it. The first surprising thing was, the download was 56.6 MB, and an update being so big sounds really funny. That wasn't the only problem. People have complained about various things happening to their iPods after updating. Some said the iPod keeps restarting continuously, or that it is not being detected, or that it isn't getting ejected. As I read on, the list started increasing and I was wondering if this is some problem from Apple.
Inspite of it's great looks and good sound and perfect video playback, i had concerns of the ipod being slow during the CoverFlow, and during Menu Navigation and the Click-wheel being less sensitive. The recent update claimed that it has improved some of these things and also unlocked a TV Out option. Well the TV Out option sounds pretty useless because we need to buy an original cable from Apple alone. Any other cables don't seem to be working with it.
Somehow, half-heartedly, I set up the update and now the result is out for me to observe. First thing I noticed was the Menu Navigation which seems a lot faster than before. But then, it still isn't as fast as it's previous models. One more change was that, the CoverFlow has become smooth and sensitive. Sound quality has no change at all. The TV Out option is of no use to me. The Click-Wheel sensitivity improved for 1.0.1 itself and nothing else was done this time. A funny thing I noticed was, while ejecting, the message that comes on the iPod sounds something like it's still in the process of ejecting and yet it is safe to disconnect. Now, if Apple can explain that to me, I'd be happy. All I know is, no experiments till it is totally ejected....
1.0.2 has improved performance greatly but I must see how this affects the battery life. I'll be waiting for 1.0.3 if it promises me more bug fixes...
even i heard about such things from firmwares...and u know something all apples updates are large sized...i think they call the newer versions of their previous ones an update and release them completely rather than just the updated files...so i think u are enjoying ur classic ...nice
ReplyDelete