Sunday, August 05, 2007

Another Sunday

This post is a bit long. Please take your time to read it. It's a long story.

A sunday. Everyone likes a sunday. Everyone likes to sleep on a sunday. But what was wrong with me? I didn't feel lazy or sleepy. No idea why. All i wanted to do was, step out of the house. Surprisingly, I wanted to smell things - smell the breeze, the trees, smell the fresh oxygen early in the morning.. I jumped out of bed and landed in my car. I didn't care where i was going. The windows were down, and the wind beating against my face, and was enjoying every moment of it. I suddenly forgot i was in Hyderabad, the city of traffic, noise, Carbon-monoxide, and lots more. I could see why people go out to jog early in the morning. The fresh air works better than caffeine, trust me. But somehow, the car wasn't totally fun. I went back home and took the bike. And went back along the same route, through the parks, and into the University and back home. The bike was surely more fun ...

After coming back home, I was suddenly made to crash land to earth. Parents shouting orders from other rooms, people jostling around and confusing me, I was positively stunned by the difference. Then it dawned to me. We were supposed to go out for shopping. For me, August is the best time of the year. We get holidays, the weather's great, and there are lots of Birthdays ... My own birthday, including my dad's, ensure that there are things to buy, things to do ... What followed, showed me a totally new face of our city.

The mood swung suddenly after rolling onto the road. The heavy traffic and all that noise really raised a doubt in me whether this was the same road that I drove on. Thankfully, I was not behind the wheel and with the windows closed, I felt better. The traffic on the way to Somajiguda was horrific. After getting through all that, we got into Hyd Central somehow and had to do those 2 rounds to get into the second level of parking space. Never before in my previous entries, did I see so many cars in the basement. It was practically choking with cars (2 wheelers were comfortably parked in some other basement due to lack of space), and there was a hazy and misty atmosphere in Level 2. Gave me a feeling like i was stepping into some creepy and smoky cave. Those occasional screeches of the tyres and the horns reverberated all around, adding to that feeling. Cars could go in only if other cars went out. We were lucky to get a space as the cars behind us were halted. The atmosphere inside the mall was again a bit disorienting. All people looked as though they were in a hurry. I don't know whether it was a hurry to get the best products, or was it a hurry to get out of the mall? I rather felt it was the latter. We just waited till the desperate guys cleared up and then went on. I bought a few clothes and stuff, and finished up with a certain ease and no hurry. That ended chapter one of the story. The true story was yet to materialise...

After completing our stuff, we moved down back to the parking lot to get out of Hyd Central. The poor security guys tried their best to keep things smooth. But it was not to be. People were in their own hurry, including our driver. Yet i say, he was a bit composed and patient. A long queue was formed as cars were struggling to get out of that usual circular ramp. Bad engineering for sure. Rising up one level in such a small radius would surely cause difficulties. Our driver told us of one incident where a lady driving an icon rammed head-on into an Innova. And we saw some people arguing over a minor crash between 2 cars which we couldn't see. Then there were a band of young men shouting at everyone they possibly could so that they can get out more quickly. The stupid guys forgot the way out and ended up going straight instead of turning in Level 1. They had to line-up behind a longer queue. We saw a Zen simply refusing to climb that ramp. Release the brake and your car rolls backward. He was struggling to get upward and forward. I can understand his pain, I always struggle with the same problem. Somehow, after about 35-40 min, we were out into the open and on the road. That ends Chapter 2.

After getting onto the road there was a new shock for me. My sister wanted to go to Big Bazar to buy a bag just like the one i bought. It was nearly 8 and we hadn't had anything to eat yet. Forget about that res in Central. It was already overflowing with homo sapiens. Big Bazar looked a little less crowded including the parking. Finally, I could see things around me, and feel them. I realised I was hungry and soon found something to eat as well. We bought the bag for my sis, and a few more things again. Shopping malls always tempt you to buy whatever you set your eyes on. It's a common disease. Finally out of Big Bazar, I thought my day was done. It was 9 and I expected an normal ride back home. Maybe I am foolish to call it a ride. It was a voyage. A huge one. We were stuck atleast 4 times near Ramanthapur only to find a huge procession of homo sapiens. This time they were wilder. I should have realised it was festival time and when I did, i cursed the whole universe for it. Huge blaring amplified speakers, (no, it was not a Rock Concert). The sound of the traditional drums, the lights, the people, the huge guys slashing themselves with those thick ropes ..... and finally, to add to all this pain, the heavy downpour. One second it was dry and noisy and the next moment, it was lashing down and scattering all people. But we managed to find our way out and reached home by the time the rain stopped. End of Chapter 3.

Now the epilogue. Home was the the place I was desparate to see ever since i stepped out. I never i understood the reason why i don't like to go out. I just feel like staying at home all day. Then the bell rang in my head. I was supposed to go to college tomorrow. Hey! College! I totally forgot about that. It was 10:30pm on the dials and my legs were not supporting me anymore. Had a 3 min dinner and was lost in Deception Point .......... don't know when i went to sleep. My guess is, 2-4 pages into reading.....

2 comments:

  1. hey buddy i think u saw the real hyderabad ....anyways i know how it feels like driving in that traffic
    its horrific

    ReplyDelete
  2. During traffic ppl eat,smell,live only one word , that is "FREE" . They will be the happiest person to move like a VIP . The celebration of Friendship day with non-living things was interesting .Hey ! sorry for this delay but congrats your dad on my behalf for his birthday .

    ReplyDelete