Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Leaking Money Week

Ah! What a week I had. Crazy is a small word for it. And all this suddenly makes me wish (can't believe this is the 10th time I'm saying this!) I can revert my life back 4 years to join in as an undergrad student.

It started off with the start of the semester with subjects I only had a vague idea about, particularly after giving a major pause to studies. The classes go on as usual and there's lots of notes to jot down, lots of things to listen to (unlike the monotonous classes I experienced for 4 years!), and lots of things to finish up before and after class (unlike the previous 4 years again!). While that threatened to keep me busy all the time, I did manage to find a few elements of what we call 'fun'.

Phew! Thanks to an Indian-born friend who wanted to check out the city just like us and he had a car thankfully! I was surprised at how difficult it is to do small things without a car. Finally after nearly 10 days of sitting at home and doing nothing, I entered Wichita like a visitor. A bright eyed visitor who wanted to absorb every sight that came his way. We weaved our way through the downtown areas, the old town areas and stuff. The weaving and wandering was mainly because we were constantly getting lost. We didn't have the GPS system in the car and we had to find our way with phone conversations and stuff.

What I observed was, the buildings are pretty damn old and they were all sending out some kind of a historical message. The effect was there. The medium tall buildings standing out with quite some exquisite modern designs all surrounded by these majestic old buildings. It was a nice sight to watch. Like a blessing in disguise, we got lost almost everytime we went out. I had to keep referring back to the maps and find our way out (it was possible to find our way because it wasn't India). Every time we were lost, we found places and new roads and how they connected back to where we wanted to go. As of now, the only place I'm dying to walk into is the Guitar Center!!

On another note, roaming around at night inside the safety of the car was definitely fun but sometimes scary! After the snow fell, the roads gave up what we call in Physics, "Friction". We were slipping and sliding around everywhere and one of the skids was a little too dangerous when we fish-tailed during a turn, and once more when we er.. came sliding down an exit ramp. Scary!

Coming to the main note. Money-Leaking! Ok. Here comes the bad part. Wanna have fun, keep cash. Lots. We went crazy going around town and throwing money here and there (quite literally!). While some basic things are real damn cheap, food just bores a hole through the pocket! As far as I could count, the prospect of dinner outside always ended up with us returning with half empty pockets.

So this week, money went down the drain like soap water. Money leaking at its peak. Keeping the hope that the coming weeks, months and years won't leak money this way, I'll sign off...

P.S: Heavily delayed post because high-speed internet access is no good unless you have hours of time to spare with you (writing a post does take time!!)

No comments:

Post a Comment