Saturday, June 06, 2009

A different Dimension

College is over and suddenly life has gone dull. And just dull is an understatement. Miserably dull. Spending 12-16 hours a day sleeping and the rest a few feet away from the television screen is hardly life. A few years back, I had so many hobbies around me that I couldn't fit them all in a day. But now, most of them have died out for whatever reason, and I am being forced to take up newer, more interesting hobbies. One of them is, 3D modeling. I always had software like 3DS Max, and Maya installed on my PC, but never bothered to touch them. The hold that Photoshop had on me was too extreme. Finally I broke free from 2D to enter the third dimension of the Magical Maya. I did this quite a long time back but I was a little too over-ambitious.

I attempted to design a car (a Bugatti Veyron!!) without even knowing all the tools available. The plan failed miserably, and I attempted a Dinosaur Head (what was I thinking!!??), that looked like a cross between a croc head and a dino skull. But I knew that I just couldn't do it. I chucked the whole 3D modeling thing and went back to making crazy artwork, posters, and editing photographs..

Now that time is abundant, I took up the issue of 3D again, and the patience paid off. Instead of attempting ambitious models, I started off with simple tutorials from a site called Highend3d. I searched a found good ones for designing tools like screw drivers, gears, etc, with realistic lighting. Using a more conventional approach I finally managed to learn something useful this last one week. The whole week passed by like within a minute. Feels like it was June 1st yesterday and 5th today.

I just played around with the lighting and stuff and got these images below, and clearly there's like 99.99% left to learn in the software.. but there's one thing I definitely learnt from all this, patience is everything. Both while modeling, and also while rendering, especially with a 2.4Ghz processor that took more than 30 min to bring out these images..






So that's my whole week in 4 images...

1 comment:

  1. well dude atleast something useful man..and i am seriously proud that atleast u are able to blog...i dont even rem that i have a blog..shud start sometime again..but dude this BHEL thing is seriously something very serious man..we got a very weird casing which has all sorts of blends and everying and the worst part is we are doing itin icem cfd, which has one of the worst user friendly cad feature i ever saw and modelling itself is not done yet...hahaha..long comment without any connection to your post..hhaha

    ReplyDelete