Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Revenge of the Fallen

I might as well be one of the very last viewers of this movie watching it more than a month after release. Inspite of having almost 24 hours of everyday free, I never managed to slip into any of the numerous theatres around. Finally Raj Kiran and I decided to pull out some time and rush to watch the Transformers Sequel that was evidently reaching the end of its play time across the city. The only comfortable timing was at Inox in the new GVK One mall.

With some difficulty, I got through the first hurdle, The Parking! Damn it! The car parking when I went there last time, was much easier than the 2 wheeler parking this time! After getting on to the base level, the next hurdle was to find Raj. I stayed away from the confusing lifts, and took the escalators and eventually found him.

We then rushed up to the screens and found ours after roaming through what seemed like corridors of an apartment block. When we entered, we found that the movie already started a few minutes back. The adrenaline was already set to a mad rush after watching an Audi R8 transform, crash it's way through a building (with some mild humour included), transform back into the R8, and eventually find itself sliced into 2 halves. And soon we found ourselves overly engrossed. The CG graphics were too good to believe. In spite of having quite some experience in being able to discern the difference between CG and real stuff, I struggled to make out what was real or whether anything was real at all. The flying splinters/debris, dust, smoke, explosions, etc, seemed too real to believe. And as the movie progressed, the humour just got only whackier. Some tragic moments here and there neutralised the humour. But the action was just non-stop. Compared to the prequel, the amount of action was way too much and good too, though some scenes were so fast and disturbing that they were difficult to make out.

Lots of people told me that there was no proper storyline though I could make out a storyline coming out. And Though I was never told about the plot, I could predict that Alice would eventually turn out to be a decepticon, and the moment an SR-71 Blackbird appeared on the screen, I knew they would show it as alien. The death/resurrection of Megatron, Prime and Sam were also of no surprise. And there were some Yuck! moments too, especially when the so-called 'Doctor' tries to pull Sam's brain out through his nose or mouth or whatever, I just couldn't stand it! And watching Alice's tentacles sticking out of 'odd' places including the tongue-tentacle, just brought me to a point where I was confused if I must puke or laugh or simply retreat in shock. Oh, and when Megatron slams Starscream against what looked like a Decepticon Egg, resulting in the egg getting squashed and then a baby robot falls out, I forced myself to look away. Other Yuck! moments included Sam snapping the head of a tiny insect-like robot. Maybe its just me, I am sure the others wouldn't have found these so disturbing. On a side note, it felt a bit weird to watch Megan Fox on screen and having '21 Guns' by Green Day playing on the background. I'd better leave it at that.

Anyway, the ending was good especially the way the Constructicons are shown to be merging together to form a savage beast-like Devastator and bringing back the obsessed-transformers Sector 7 guy for some stupid dirty humour was fun to watch. Having never watched the cartoon series of Transformers, I found this overly interesting and creative. The 'charaters' successfully managed to create a 'character' out of just some CG robots. And the 'humans' acted pretty decently to successfully set the mood, and it would have been quite a job to act as if robots really existed and were interacting with humans.

And what a long movie it was! Went in at 2:30PM and came out around 5:15!! I wondered if I just came out of a Bollywood movie! I am pretty sure I never watched such a long non-Indian film. Anyway, once I stepped out I suddenly had a list of things to do.

I forgot where I parked my 2 wheeler and Raj told me he parked his one level up. It was all too confusing. Moreover, I was supposed to give my cousin (whose office was close by) her spectacles that she accidentally forgot to take, and I never managed get in contact and left it for some other day. And then the thing for which I actually stepped out of house. Buying legal stamp papers from a court complex. We shelled out money in big bunches and finally after some confusion we understood that the guy who was giving them to us wanted us to wait outside on the road so that nobody could see him giving them to us! I was bewildered to experience all that. It all seemed perfectly normal to Raj, which showed that I was blatantly unaware of so many things in life.

Time ran out so quickly that we decided to rush home with an empty stomach after spending 55 Rs on some salty popcorn which never satisfied 1% of my hunger. On the way back, every vehicle I saw seemed to be transforming into a robot, momentarily distracting me. After a few close shaves with those imaginary transformers, I decided to shut down my mind and focus on the road. A day of fun and work ended with a considerably lighter head and wallet...

No comments:

Post a Comment