Friday, September 12, 2008

The New Face of Bollywood

I saw Rock On!! a week ago, and finally got the chance to blog and blab about it. I liked the music a lot and was expecting a pretty good movie to complement that and I must say, the movie lived up to its music. The number of films that I have watched are way too less compared to the others so I can't really compare this. Infact I feel it's best not to compare it to any. Just watch the movie, feel good and come back home. That's it.

As for me, I found it simple yet graceful and looked made for the modern-age. We have movies that are over-modern which completely spoil the show. Racing Bikes in narrow corners of Mumbai, cars, bikes, and trucks flying and planes crashing(!!), crazy dancing, over-smart 'bad guys', 'good guys' even smarter than them, millions of twisted plots and many similar things. This one had nothing of those sorts and that's what forced me to like it. There was no intentional humour. It just cameo ut naturally and people laughed where they were expected to laugh. But I also noticed something I never came across before. The audience were extremely silent throughout the movie. It was packed to the last available seat and yet I felt like I was sitting alone in there. I couldn't help tapping away to the music, and the rest were still just as silent. Was it a tennis match? People applaud a joke for a few seconds and then it's back to silence! Is it only Indian movie-making that has come of age, or has it taught people to come of age as well? The whole experience was simply different. I just didn't feel like I was surrounded by Bollywood. The shouts, whistles, dry jokes, 'masala', etc, all were absent. I actually felt good. The music was inspiring, the film was modern and the crowd was intelligent. It was perfect.

Just plain and perfect...

1 comment:

  1. haha..the best part was when u said the crowd was silent...well buddy wake up..its nearly the 20 day of a hindi movie that too in hyderabad...who do u expect to come and see the movie....

    ReplyDelete